THE The Christmas period is approaching and, as a rule, expenses also increase during this time of the year. In a context of rising prices, impacting households’ portfolios, it is important that expenditures are planned in such a way that they are not excessive.
In the midst of all this, saving can be an extra challenge. On this path, the financial literacy portal of the Associação Mutualista Montepio, the EI, gives 20 tips that can help save even with Christmas just around the corner. Take note:
- Set a Christmas budget – “Strictly stick to your planned expenses. To save money at Christmas, make a list of the names of the adults and children you want to give a gift to and establish a base value for each. Also estimate how much you want to spend on food”;
- Write down all expenses – “Every time you make a purchase regarding gifts or meals for the Christmas holidays, write it down in a notebook or diary so you have a better idea of the money you are spending”;
- Prepare Christmas dinner in advance – “Ingredients for Christmas dinner that do not spoil, such as olive oil, dried fruit or drinks, must be bought in advance. Why? Prices rise every year in December”;
- Avoid impulse purchases and last minute purchases – “In the midst of the ‘confusion’ that builds up in stores in the last few days before Christmas, you tend to make less weighty and potentially more expensive decisions”;
- Compare prices – “Choose the store or supermarket that is most accessible to you and have the best offer based on price/quality”;
- Focus your purchases – “To save Christmas money on gas and parking, try Christmas shopping once or twice”;
- Share the cost – “Reduce spending on food for Christmas parties and ask every member of the family to participate in the menu of different delicacies”;
- Enjoy the balances – “Buy Christmas gifts out of season and take advantage of discounts all year round, namely the January and Summer sales. Don’t forget that there are timeless items”;
- Offering gifts together – “Give gifts together with other relatives or friends and you will see that it will even become possible to give loved ones more expensive gifts. For example, offer gifts for parents together with your siblings. In the case of couples, choose a single gift “;
- Make your own gifts – “For example, who doesn’t like a jar of marmalade or homemade jam? Wherever possible, let your imagination run wild and make your own presents”;
- Reuse wrapping paper – After opening the gifts, keep the paper and ribbons that are in good condition and can be used later. bend, for example”;
- Save on decoration – “Recycle or try to innovate in the decoration with originality using the objects you used last year. In the same bowls you used for the traditional sweets, for example, place dried fruits or chocolates. Be creative and place a pine cone on each plate, for example to mark each guest’s place at the Christmas table”;
- Send digital cards – “If you like to send Christmas cards, electronic postcards sent by email are effective, fast and economical”;
- Bet on online auctions – “The offer is wide and the prices are affordable. On auction sites you can buy a wide variety of products, which are offered for sale by private individuals, from a bidding base that can reach as little as one euro to auctions to dispose of goods eBay is one of the most famous platforms, offering thousands of products”;
- Take advantage of outlet prices – “To save money at Christmas, book a day to go to commercial areas with lower prices or look for products with this designation on the Many brands make this option available on their website. If you want to offer clothing, shoes or bags, is this a cheaper alternative”;
- Pamper family and friends – “If your budget is particularly tight this year, choose to offer surprises rather than gifts to those you love most. For example, promise your sister you’ll babysit her nephews for the weekend, offer to take care of your partner’s family” next car cleaning or surprise him/her with a romantic Christmas card or a presentation with photos of your most beautiful moments”;
- Play Secret Friend – “This exchange of memories is cheaper because you only need to buy one gift. Write the name of the participants on a piece of paper and put them all in a bag. Each person has to take a piece of paper and name the person they got a secret Then clues are given about the secret friend’s appearance or personality until everyone guesses who it is.
- save energy – “Use LED technology for Christmas lighting, a solution with low energy consumption. Also bet on decorative candles”;
- Buy in bulk – “Dried and crystallized fruits are part of the Christmas table and if on the one hand the most practical way to buy them is in small packaged portions, on the other hand if you buy in bulk you get the same amount for a lower price”;
- Make a Christmas piggy bank – “Start saving for gifts as early as January. Estimate how much you want to spend in December and then divide by 12. Set aside that amount each month to create your Christmas savings.”
Read also: Save the environment. More and more consumers are changing their eating habits
Always be the first to know.
Sixth year in a row Consumer Choice and Five Star Online Press Award.
Download our free App.